Welcome!

Angelina Villalobos is a fine artist who combines environment and folklore into her subject matter which attempts to understand religion, culture & family structure in the jigsaw of modern society. Going by the pen name 179, please subscribe to the blog for more updates!

Commission inquiries can be made to
onesevennine@gmail.com

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Blast from the Past:: Submerge 179 Interview

I went to Sacramento a few years back to show at an amazing clothing boutique name United State.

For the event; Sacramento's' Art Walk and Live Painting I interviewed with Submerge Magazine.

Here is a exert from the interview;
 

Are your parents supportive of your artwork?
At first they weren't. At first it was graffiti, and it was vandalizing, and it was criminal, and they couldn't understand that aspect. When I started doing more art, and I started going to school for design, they got more supportive. Now that IĆ¢€™m doing shows, they're seeing the rewards of all my hard work. Because, you know, they're family and their concerned: Get a job, get married, have kids. You're 25, why aren't you working on a career and settling down. Being Mexican Catholic, I should have five kids by now [laughs]. But they're seeing it paying off and kind of breaking that mold of what it means to be a Latina these days. I don't have to follow the same path that my aunties and my mom did.

Please read the rest of the article here;
http://submergemag.com/featured/when-cultures-clash/62/

I have noticed from the recent interview by Dead C of Monster Fresh for the Citrus Report; I hold the same ideas as before, I have just matured as they have and developed them into the foundation of my art. Although highly political, they seem to have a playful way that isn't too imposing.
I want you to see my ideas and opinions, not change yours.

Right now I am listening to The Moldy Peaches, drinking the best white wine the fridge has to offer and painting a giant octopus with an Elvis do for the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon. I'll post update pictures when it starts really taking shape.

Cheers!
Angelina

No comments:

Post a Comment